ONU life and my favorite class

 Hello, and welcome back to my blog. Today I would like to talk about one of the greatest memories that I have made at ONU. 

When I think back to my favorite memories, one that always pops up is when I was taking my Multicultural Psychology course. It is safe to say that the course changed my life. I was a junior (so last year) and I knew nothing about other cultures except for what I had learned with my friends and the movies and documentaries I would watch. I did a lot of research on white privilege and racism but never like I did in that class. I say life-changing because it opened my eyes to a world that I didn't want to exist. I did not know everything about racism or the many different types. I didn't know the first thing about cultural appropriation or culture in general. I had to admit to myself that some of my actions were racist. Some of my thoughts and beliefs came from racist ideals and upbringings. 

I did not want to think that. But I learned more about myself and for that, I am grateful. I learned that it is okay to not know but you must learn and try. I did so much self-reflection and I cried, I was mad, I was hurt. But I had to take a step back and realize I am not the person who should be mad, sad and hurt. I had to accept that I was part of the problem and that I had the privilege of being white. Now a year ago I would be too scared to talk about this on a public platform and have my classmates see it because of how controversial (even though it shouldn't be) the topic is for some people. But what I learned is that, it doesn't matter. I have to use my voice, a voice that people listen to because I hold privilege. 

Even though I learned a lot about cultures and racism, I also learned how to accept myself. I learned how to share the difficult parts of my life and open up to my classmates like I have never done before. We all got to share who we are and what made us in front of the entire class. It was emotional and hard. But EVERYONE did it. And the aura in the room was amazing. Everyone was so respectful and comforting and I had never felt so close to my classmates before. 

I wouldn't change a thing about my Multicultural Psychology course because it taught me how to be a better human being. It also taught me how to be a better therapist. I wouldn't be able to do that profession if I hadn't taken that class. But what upsets me is that is not required nor has it been ever. It also just recently was able to be taught. To me, that class is one of the most important classes anyone could take. I think everyone should be required to take it. 

Overall, my experience was amazing and I will never forget it. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cheers Brother!

TikTok? Musically? Vine?

What I've learned